If you are in a rush and would like to find out what the best dog food for Yorkies is, the we recommend the Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier as the best choice!
Yorkshire terrier is a popular dog breed. Based on an article posted by CBS News, Yorkshire Terrier ranked no. 9 as the most popular dog breed in the US. For the first time owner of this breed, finding the right food is not an easy task. We are aware of how hard it is for you to choose the right food for your dog, so we have listed here 5 of the best dog food for Yorkies to help you decide.
In this article, we’ll be reviewing the following dog food for Yorkies:
- Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition
- Natural Balance Original Ultra Whole Body
- Hills Science Diet Sensitive Stomach
- Wellness Natural Chicken
- Blue Buffalo Protection Dog Food
How to Choose the Best Food For Yorkies
Yorkies have a few issues with allergies. This is triggered by the food they eat and the environment. Treating environmental allergies is easy with the help of your veterinarian. Dealing with food allergies is different.
Food allergies are rare in dogs sometimes what your pets are experiencing is actually a food intolerance. The symptoms for these two conditions are almost the same such as diarrhea and vomiting. Other indications of a true food allergy are as follows:
- Itching (main)
- Itchy paws
- Constant Sneezing
- Hot spots
- Rashes in skin
- Greasy skin
- Scaly skin
- Pigmentation in skin
- Leather-like skin
- Eye discharge
- Red eyes
- Loss of fur
- Ear infections
The solution is to choose the right food for your pet dog.
Here are some facts on what to avoid and what to look for when choosing food for your Yorkies.
What to Look For:
- Dog foods contain preservatives, make sure the product uses the natural ones like a vitamin blend, some plants, herbs (spearmint and rosemary) or fungi like mushrooms.
- It should not contain artificial flavoring or coloring.
- Check its vegetables and fruits content.
- Choose dog food with wholesome traditional meats like – compressed meal or whole chicken, duck, pork, beef, turkey, a certain type of fish like tuna, rabbit, goose or lamb.
- For comfortable eating, choose small-sized kibble.
- To keep the joint healthy, look for dog food with omega-3 fatty acids. A good source is fish oil and flaxseed.
What to Avoid:
- Stay away from dog food with chemical preservatives. These are the common cause of an allergy, intestinal distress and some are carcinogenic.
- Dog food with artificial flavoring or coloring. These additives can lead to mild to severe allergic reactions and some dyes associated with behavioral problems.
- Fillers are added to dog food to plump it up but it does not have any nutritional value. These can cause intestinal distress and nutritional deficiencies and the main cause of coprophagia.
- By-products. It is a cost-saving method to cope up with the needed protein.
Nutritional Value – What Ingredients Your Dog Food Should Contain?
Yorkshire dog food is healthy and filled with breed-specific nutritional ingredients. You can ask your vet about the specific nutritional needs of your dog and check if their present dog food contains the required amount of essential nutrients.
This nutrient can supply the needed energy and strength. Your Yorkie should have 30-40% of protein coming from grain and meat products. Protein from plant is not healthy for dogs.
Avoid corn and other complex carbs as they are hard to digest.
The dog food you choose should have enough amount of fat to keep your Yorkshire’s coat shiny and silky. Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids are an important component of dog food. But an excessive amount of fats may lead to pancreatitis and obesity.
Vitamins and Minerals
To keep your pet dog healthy and boost its immune system against diseases. You can obtain these nutrients on fruits and veggies.
The Amount of Dry Food You Should Feed Your Yorkie
Every dog is unique, each type has specific needs that should be met. A young puppy requires to eat more calories in a day as compared to a senior or adult. A less energetic puppy and an active adult may eat the same amount.
Generally, a puppy should eat 45 to 55 calories per pound of body weight 45 to 55 calories per pound of body weight every day while adults should eat less per pound. But, not all dry foods contain the same amount of calories. Thus it is best to follow the serving sizes written on the label.
Royal Canin is a dog food formulated primarily for Yorkshire Terrier. It is considered as one of the best dog food for Yorkies because of its benefits and unique features. Royal Canin dry dog food can be mixed together with wet dog food of the same brand to make it more enticing for choosy eaters.
Unique Kibble Shape and Texture
This dog food is shaped and textured uniquely that are designed for Yorkshire’s short muzzle bite, which makes it easy for them to pick up and chew. The kibbles also have exceptional aromas and flavors that your Yorkshire may find it enticing.
High Level of Fatty Acids and Other Nutrients
Royal Canin contains a good amount of omega 3 and omega-6 fatty acids to help provide long and shiny coat. The nutrients found in this dog food can help support vitality and helps your pet age gracefully.
Contains Brewers and Brown Rice
Brewers and brown rice are a good source of energy for your very active Yorkshire. This dog food is fortified with both glucosamine and chondroitin. These two ingredients make sure that your joints are functioning to its fullness. It is likewise enriched with antioxidants, anti-inflammatories, natural immune-enhancing substances.
- Satisfies sensitive appetite
- Shaped kibble
- Easy to pick-up and chew
- Keeps the coat healthy
- Recommended for Yorkies 10 months and older
- Supports healthy aging
- A bit costly
Natural Balance is also a popular brand when it comes to dog food. Their team is composed of dog food nutritionists and makes sure that your pet is nourished with all the nutrients it needs.
Oat Fiber for Proper Digestion
This gluten-free diet by Natural Balance contains oat fiber that can help in proper digestion. So, it helps Yorkies’ with sensitive stomachnot to get sick.
Rich in Antioxidants
This dog food contains blueberries, spinach, and cranberries that is rich in antioxidant. They will keep your dog food fresh and your pet healthy. The antioxidant can prevent your Yorkshire from having a coat or allergy and skin problems. It also promotes immune system activity in young Yorkshire before getting their vaccine.
Aside from antioxidants, it also contains DHA and EPA amino acids to keep your brain function healthy. Natural Balance Original also includes manganese and zinc to keep your pet hips and joints healthy.
- Made from fresh, natural ingredients
- Easy to digest
- Can be purchased in both dry and canned content
- Contains the needed nutrients to keep your Yorkshire healthy
- A bit costly
- Yorkshire with sensitive taste seem not to enjoy the taste
If your pet Yorkshire has sensitive stomach or skin, the Hill’s Science Diet Adult Dog Food is what you need. This dog food has a complete and balanced diet formula made of easily digestible ingredients.
Fortified With Amino Acids, Vitamins and Mineral
As mentioned, Yorkshire has a sensitive stomach and skin and requires special food. The Hillside Science Diet has all the needed vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. It contains omega-6 fatty acids as well as other nutrients to promote healthy skin and enhance a glossy coat. Your dog’s immune system is protected because it has a combination of vitamin C and E plus antioxidants.
Veggies and Fruits
Its fruits and veggies content gives an interesting flavor to your dog food. Both ingredients also provide balanced nutrition to support the daily requirements of your pet.
As compared to other dog food, the Hillside Science Diet has less protein. Reducing the possibility of having an allergy. Sad to say, but chicken remains the main cause of allergy.
- Helps alleviate stomach problems
- Helps eliminate skin problems
- Taste good your pet will surely love
- Easy to digest
- Some Yorkies don’t like the taste
Wellness is a popular brand of dog food that is known for its premium quality products. The company focuses mainly on the all-natural formulation to provide the best for your dog. The Wellness Natural Chicken Core is suitable for active dogs like Yorkshire.
34% of Wellness Core is composed of protein. The sources include turkey meal, chicken meal, and deboned turkey. This product contains more protein and less water. Chicken liver is also added which is also a good source of protein.
Contains Omega-Rich Fats
Some of the sources of omega-rich fats are chicken fat, salmon oil, and flaxseed. The omega-rich fats will help nourish your Yorkshire’s coat and skin.
Natural Sources of Carbohydrates
It does not contain grains. Peas and potatoes provide a healthy complex carbohydrates. Also, peas provide more fiber that helps in dog’s digestion. This dog food has a high level of probiotics, so in case your dog has digestive problems, you can depend on this.
- Keeps dog’s joint and cartilage healthy
- No artificial colors, preservatives and sweeteners
- Easy to digest
- It does not contain meat meal from unknown sources
- Contains prebiotic inulin
- Uses a controversial ingredient known as tomato pomace
- Pea fiber content has little nutritional value
Blue Buffalo Protection Dog Food is formulated for small and toy breed canines, that requires a particular macronutrient balance. Because of its high carbohydrate levels, this product is not recommended for inactive or overweight dogs.
Healthy Whole Grains
The carbs come from the healthy whole grains like barley and brown rice and on peas and potatoes. And because of this, it is not suitable for Yorkies that are allergic to grain allergies.
No Dairy Products
Does not contain any dairy, egg or beef, so if your dog is allergic to any of these ingredients, you can resort to dog food with natural ingredients.
The Blue Buffalo Protection Dog Food contains an ingredient that is rich in antioxidant. And because of this, it becomes that best choice for small dogs prone to diseases like heart problems or cancer. The antioxidants protect healthy cells from getting destroyed due to free radicals.
- Premium quality product to provide optimum health
- Made of natural ingredients
- Uses lamb meat as a source of protein
- Packed with antioxidants for better immune system
- With Omega-3 and omega-6 for a healthier and better-looking coat
- It is not a grain-free food
Although Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier dog food is comparable to other dog foods, it’s uniquely shaped and textured kibble earns our vote as one of the best dog foods in the market. One reason is that it contains a very good amount of Omega-3 and Omega-6 that helps maintain a shiny, healthy coat.
Royal Canin’s impressive flavor combination appeals to even the choosiest eater. So, if you are looking for the best food for your Yorkshire consider buying Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier. If you find this guide helpful to you, feel free to share this with others.