If you do not have the time to read the whole article and just want to find out what the best water bowls for sloppy dog drinkers is, then we recommend the Neater Feeder Deluxe Dog The Mess Proof Elevated Bowls as the best one.
As much as we love our dogs, we know that they can get quite messy during drinking time. It is impossible to have no water spill. The mess the pooches leave behind is sometimes unpleasant, especially if you have carpeted floor in the house.
For me, I wear socks at home. I often step onto Kyra’s “puddles” of water on the tiled floor. I keep telling myself this has to end because I do not want to keep changing socks! Unless you are fine with this mess, let’s look find out why they are a sloppy drinker.
The solution to this problem is by looking at some of the best dog water bowls for messy drinkers.
In this article, we’re going to review the following dog water bowls:
- Neater Feeder Deluxe Dog The Mess Proof Elevated Bowls
- Road Refresher Dog Bowl Large
- Neater Feeder Express Pet Bowls
- Slopper Stopper Dripless Water Bowl
- Deyace Dog Water Bowl
- Heyrex Torus Self-Filling Pet Water Bowl
Why Are Dogs A Messy Drinker?
Both dogs and cats have incomplete cheeks. Therefore, unlike humans, these animals drink by moving water against gravity into their body without using suction method.
They drink by lapping water with their posteriorly curled tongue while plunging it into the water. Then, they rapidly draw the tongue back into mouth. By doing so, water will stick to the underside part of the curl tongue and be drawn into mouth through inertia.
Hence, this drinking process will inevitably cause dogs to spill water.
Of course, every dog will have different amount of spillage.
The only reasonable solution to the problem is to change the water bowl in order to avoid dramatic spilling!
Factors To Consider When Buying Water Bowls
Choosing the right bowl for our pooch is hard! If your main concern is about having no spill on the floor, these are the factors to look into when getting a bowl:
Type of dogs
Does your fido have long ears like Pembroke Welsh Corgi, Dachshund and Poodles? If so, you may get a water bowl that has both a wide base and narrow opening. This will ensure its ears are not in the way during drinking time; while keeping its head dry.
Besides, if your dog has a short nose like pugs and bulldogs, you may opt for a shallow water bowl for them to reach their drinks without straining their neck and throat. This will also reduce the spills.
Most dogs are known to be fast eaters and drinkers. They gulp their food while swallowing air. This can cause regurgitation, indigestion, gas or fatal bloat.
Getting a bowl that forces your pooch to eat and drink slowly can not only minimize spills; but also reduce the chances of getting those sickness above.
In this case, a slow bowl is a good solution!
Height Of Dogs
Make sure you get a bowl that suit the height of your dog. If you expect your dog will grow taller, get a water bowl that has an adjustable stand.
A dog that drinks too far away from its bowl will inevitably increase water spills.
Height Of Bowls
You might not be able to control how tall your pooch is or will be, but you can control the height of the drinking bowl.
Logically speaking, the further the bowl is away from its mouth, the more spills will be.
According to a study conducted by American Veterinary Medical Association to find out non-dietary risk factors for gastric dilatation-volvulus (GDV), two of the contributing factors are having a raised bowl and rapid speed of eating.
It signifies the relevance of bowl height to not only the control of spills, but the rise of health issues, too!
Bowls should be raised to a proper height in order to suit the dog’s needs and comfort.
Big and large dog breeds such as Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Akita and German Shepherd can benefit from an elevated bowl.
Fun Fact: Did you know that Akita is one of the most loyal dog breeds?
Besides that, a higher bowl is better for dogs recovering from knee surgery. Dogs won’t need to stoop when drinking and stain their joints.
How to make sure the bowl has the right height for your pooch?
You can measure its height from floor to the highest point on the shoulder blades.
Then, decide on a water bowl that suits its height. Not all elevated bowls are suitable for all dogs; make sure you measure your dog’s height (from floor to the highest point on their shoulder blades) and choose a bowl that’s best suited for your dog.
Dog water bowls come with a variety of materials. The cheapest one is plastic, besides being commonplace and colorful.
However, plastic bowl is not the safest option for your pooch!
Plastic bowls are easily scratched, and trap bacteria that cannot be cleaned off.
Have you heard of BPA (Bisphenol A) from plastic?
A recent animal study revealed that even low-level exposure to BPA will lead to insulin resistance, that can cause inflammation and heard disease.
A published study in The Journal of the American Medical Association discovered that the use of plastic dishes increases the melamine level in urine, especially heated in microwave or serve acidic foods such as tomatoes, fruits (orange juice, nectarines) and so on.
Melamine, an organic chemical that contains low toxicity, will become dangerous when combined with chemicals like formaldehyde and cyanuric acid. Thousand of dogs and cats were killed in 2007 because of melamine mixed with cyanuric acid from food.
Although we are talking about water bowls, rather than food bowls, are you certain that you will not put any food in them? Plus, you might feed your fido with other types of fluid rather than water.
Why risk it?
Choose materials that are durable. They could be glass, stoneware, ceramics or stainless steel.
These sturdy materials will last longer, especially if you think your pooch is a playful one, or you have children around the house.
Stay in mind that a cheaper water bowl might compromise its functionality, durability and safety.
Best Dog Bowls For Sloppy Drinkers
This is one mess proof water bowl that has been praised by practically every dog owner who has tried it out.
Besides having a sleek modern design, it comes with the ideal make to prevent spills from your canine friend.
With the three range of sizes to choose from, the medium, small and large, you can always choose the suitable size for your doggy.
You also have a variety of colours to choose from.
There is the bronze, midnight black, gunmetal grey, cranberry, cappuccino and gamo green.
This is the one bowl that obeys the principles of sloppy feeders to the letter.
It is designed with two feeding bowls which are fitted with a spill guard on the front side.
More to that, the Neater Feeder Deluxe Dog Bowls comes with a second bottom layer that targets any spills and directs them to a common place. This makes the clean-up process fast enough and efficient.
Your dog’s feeding area will always stay neat and tidy with this neater feeder.
- EXCELLENT SET UP – It makes the clean-up process very easy.
- DURABILITY – It helps to prevent the floor from damage.
- NO SPILLAGE – It comes with a bottom tray which collects the spilled water.
- TIME-SAVING – There will be no spills as they are contained within the feeder itself. This can save you time from cleaning floors or walls.
- SHORT STANDS – You might need to get additional stands to make it taller.
This is the ideal portable bowl for a pet on the move.
It comes with a thick rim that prevents spills on your kitchen floor as well as keep the dog’s eyes, chin and ears dry.
The plastic used to make this bowl is BPA free therefore you need not worry about the health safety of your doggy.
In addition to that, the bowl has three major parts.
These include; the black topper, the bowl and the middle floater. The floater is quite helpful especially for those who carry their dog pets in their RVs.
This middle floater takes care of any spills that may be caused by bumpy roads by restricting water flow.
With this bowl, your doggy always has enough water to drink but never has extra to spill over.
Although this bowl can be used at home, it requires constant refills if you have a big drinker with you.
The bottom is non-skid making it quite easy for the curious dogs to tip it over. If you have a master trickster for a pet, then you might have a hard time with this bowl.
- EASY TO CLEAN – The bowl is easy to dismantle for cleaning.
- TRAVEL FRIENDLY – It can be used while travelling or at home.
- DISHWASHER SAFE – It is made from the heat resistant polypropylene therefore it is dishwasher safe.
- ANTI-SPILLS – It comes in a simple and unique design which eliminates any spills.
- SMALL CAPACITY – It has a smaller holding capacity that most bowls. So it requires you to refill quite often.
- NON-SKID – The bottom of this bowl is non-skid hence can be tipped over.
This is a standard dog bowl to help with the sloppy dogs.
The bowl is fitted with a splash guard at the top to prevent spills on the floor as she is feeding.
The water that is spilled over by your dog is drained to the bottom tray. This ensures that the dogs feeding areas is always neat and clean.
The design is suitable for the small dogs that weigh about 18lbs and are 9 inches wide at the shoulders.
The fact that all spills are contained within the feeder, this saves you time while cleaning the walls and floors around the feeding area.
For convenience, the whole feeder is dish washer safe including the top and bottom basins.
If your dog likes to tip over its dish, this feeder has non-skid feet which have been fitted with rubber to prevent sliding.
It has two size options to choose from, for both the medium and the small dog breeds.
- EASY TO CLEAN – It has easy cleaning procedures especially because of the spills catchment areas.
- ANTI-SLIDING – It has non-skid feet to prevent sliding.
- DISHWASHER SAFE – It is safe to wash the bowl in a dishwasher.
- SPLASH GUARD – It has a splash guard to protect your floor and walls.
- OUTDOOR AND INDOOR USE – The bowl can be used anywhere because it is heavy duty.
- SIZE – It cannot be used with large dog breeds.
- LOOSENESS – The non-skid feet are loosely attached.
- EASY DETACHMENT – Pets might be able to detach the top and bottom bowl because it lacks an attachment pin.
The Slopper Stopper Dripless Water Bowl comes in a sleek modern design. It is transparent and has snaps on the lids to prevent water from messing the floor.
This feature also discourages the dog from having large gulps at once therefore prevents chocking.
Additionally, this feature keeps her eyes and ears dry.
The bowl is ideal for medium-sized and large dogs that weigh about 30 to 90 pounds.
The water bowl holds up to 40 ounces therefore does not require constant refills.
In one refill, you could add about 1.4 litres of water so you are sure your dog will stay hydrated all day long even when you are away.
The bowl has water level knockouts which adjusts the water level on a ball shape which helps to raise the level of water to the preferred level.
The bottom part of this feeder has a non-slip material. It is also BPA free therefore you don’t have to worry about the safety of your dog.
- NO CHOKING – It prevents the dog from chocking because of slower drinking.
- EASY CLEANING – It has easy cleaning procedures.
- NON-SLIP MATERIAL – It is safe to wash the bowl in a dishwasher.
- NO WETNESS – It keeps the dog’s beard as well as the ears dry.
- POSSIBLE CHEWING – The attached rubber plug may be irresistible to those dog breeds who like to chew on things.
- FREQUENT REFILLS – This water bowl may require up to two refills daily for the heavy drinkers.
Maybe you have that canine friend who constantly chokes and spills water all over the house.
This bowl has just the right design to suit it.
It comes with a floating anti-splash lid that prevents spills from your pet when she is drinking.
More to that, the lid inserted in the bowl prevents the water from dust therefore it remains fresh and clean throughout the day.
The materials used to make this bowl are safe as they are ABS non-toxic, tasteless as well as odourless.
The assembling procedure of this bowl is easy. This is because, it has no seals or plugs. All you need to do is place the top on the base then you can get started.
It is also multifunctional therefore besides being used as a water bowl, you can use it to feed it.
- NO MESS – It prevents water mess on the floor.
- NO WETNESS – It keeps the dog’s ears and beards dry.
- SLOW DOWN DRINKING – It is effective in slowing down pets who drink really fast then end up getting sick.
- SAFETY – The materials are safe hence you don’t have to worry about your dog’s health.
- STABILITY – Larger dog breeds can still manage to push down the floater.
- FREQUENT REFILLS – This water bowl may require up to two refills daily for the heavy drinkers.
This is a dog water bowl for the sloppy drinkers since it is designed with a sleek material that uses the gravity-fed feature to prevent your dog from splashing and messing the feeding area.
The in-built filter helps to keep your dog’s water clean and free from dust.
The fact that it can comfortably hold about 2 litres of water, this means it does not require regular refills for your pooch to stay hydrated throughout the day.
It maintains a low level of water therefore the splashing back and water messes are taken care of.
To feed your dog with water, it does not require batteries or electricity, just the gravity.
The solid make ensures that it is stable in order to prevent cases of tripping over.
This bowl is also very light in weight hence making it portable.
- FILTERED WATER – It delivers filtered water to your pooch.
- REDUCED MESS – It reduces splashes and messes on the floor.
- GRAVITY FORCE – It does not require electricity or batteries, just the gravity force.
- STABILITY – It is very stable hence reducing chances of your dog tripping it over.
- PORTABILITY – It is light in weight hence portable.
- FREQUENT REFILLS – With larger breeds, the bowl has to be refilled about 2 to 3 times a day.
- CLEANING PROCEDURES – The cleaning procedures seems hectic.
At this point, it is time to pick the winner. Which water bowl is going to give your sloppy dog drinker everything you need including durability, safety and appeal? It’s the Neater Feeder Deluxe Dog The Mess Proof Elevated Bowls .
In comparison to some of the others, this water bowl is spill proof as it comes with a spill guard, and it has two bowls allowing you to not only put water. If you’re looking for time-saving convenience, this bowl is the best as it has a bottom tray that contains spilled water. All you have to do is remove the tray and pour away the water.
However, if you’re on a tight budget, you can go for the Gaity Pet Dog Water Bowl. This is small and space-saving if you do not want a water bowl that takes up a lot of room area.
Pretty much every dog breed can be a sloppy drinker.However, there are some who are considered to be sloppier compared to others. Make sure you get your dog the right water bowl that suits its height, too!