So, what if your dog ate gum, or it took it to the next stage by eating a pack of gum?
Just like kids, dogs can be hard to control sometimes. Because we don’t always have the power over what they do at certain points in time, or what they eat.
Dog owners should know what effect gum can have on their beloved pets.
In this article you also learn how to make sure your dog is ok after the incident.
Chocolates are bad for dogs, and gum can be just as deadly.
So, the panic button is a perfectly natural key to press here.
However, the situation is not all bad. You can be better informed against future occurrences while managing your present situation.
How about we talk about this gooey situation at length?
That way, you know just what to do.
My Dog Ate Gum. Is It Okay?
In as much as we would advise you not to panic when your dog has treated itself to a nice meal of gums, it is not healthy for your canine to have some.
When your dog eats gum, it could be fine as long as there is no xylitol in that piece of gum.
Otherwise, please pay careful attention what xylitol is.
Xylitol in Chewing Gum
Xylitol is an artificial sweetener added to gums to make them have the taste that we desire in them, but it can be toxic to the body system of dogs. (source)
Xylitol in the bloodstream of dogs would cause a series of chain reactions.
For example, xylitol would immediately cause massive production of insulin in the dog’s body, effectively lowering the glucose levels and causing a massive reduction in the dog’s blood sugar.
If this is not treated on time, the dog can start to experience liver failure, some seizures, etc.
If your dog has eaten a pack of gum that contains xylitol, it would start showing adverse symptoms in a space of 30 minutes to 12 hours.
The dog doesn’t need to eat much to show the symptoms either.
Research proves that as little as 50 milligrams of xylitol in the body of your pet is enough to cause the side effects to show up (source).
Unlike humans, dogs are not well informed enough to know that gum is to be chewed before it is being swallowed.
They get everything in the top concentration into their belly at once.
Asides from the xylitol issue, digestion issues could also spring up.
Is Sugar-Free Gum Poisonous For Dogs?
Xylitol is a component of sugar-free gum that is good for the human teeth, but detrimental to the canine health.
While a dog would need to consume a large amount of chocolate (relative to their size) before they started to show the most critical symptoms, a little bit of xylitol is enough to kill your dog. (source)
Symptoms of Dogs Eating Gum?
Different dogs have different levels of tolerance.
The weight of the dog and the amount of gum consumed is also a factor in determining how fast the symptoms would start to show.
Keep close tabs on the dog as they can start to exhibit symptoms within just 30 minutes and could span as long as 12 hours (source).
Within the initial minutes or hours of your dog eating gum, you would start to notice a slew of symptoms such as:
- Drop in blood level (leading to collapse)
- Haphazard co-ordination abilities
- Internal bleeding
Sadly, if you don’t treat your dog fast enough or get them under the care of a vet, they could die from the pack of gum they ate.
That is why it is good to be observant of your pet, and once you start noticing all of these symptoms, get in touch with a vet with your concerns.
If you believe that your dog might have eaten some gum, take it to the vet as soon as possible. It is better to be safe than sorry.
What Should I Do Now If My Dog Swallowed Bubble-Gum?
The first advise to dog owners when they find out that their pets have swallowed some gum is to stay calm.
The recommended thing to do is to place a call to your vet, and let them know what has happened.
Likewise, refrain from administering any oral treatment to the dog. There is the chance that you would just end up making things worse for the dog.
For example, your dog might already have a case of hypoglycaemia and making them vomit could just make matters worse for them.
Keep Gum away from Dogs
Now you know just how bad gum can be for the health of your dog.
It is time to start looking at ways to stop your dog from gum.
1) Not a treat
Ensure that you don’t have any reason to give gum to your dog.
There are a lot of safe and proper dog treats out there.
2) Out of reach
Keeping your packs of gum out of reach can also help a lot.
A lot of dog owners calling the Pet Helpline admitted to having left a pack of gum lying around. (source)
Make sure your jackets and bags are always away from floor and zipped.
3) On a leash
Keeping your dog on a leash during the walk can save it from a lot of trouble.
If you know your dog does scavenge a lot, consider using a muzzle whenever you’re out with it.
4) Out of sight
Dispose of chewed gum properly.
Also, do not leave gum anywhere around the house to get your dog’s attention.
Finally, educate everyone around you on the danger of gums to dogs.
Better still, they should respect your no-gum policy for your dog.
Your Dog, Chewing Gum and You!
Sugar-free or not, gum is meant for humans and not for pets.
It has to be the worst choice of treat that you can give to your pet.
The best thing is to refrain from giving your dog chewing gum of any kind.
Also, make sure that you keep all packs of gum out of sight to avoid your pet helping itself to just a bite, or a couple of it.
Be well-informed and guided about the danger of xylitol in sugar-gum to your pooch!
With the increasing use of xylitol in home products by manufacturers, it is important to keep tabs on every jar whose content is made of xylitol in the home.
Always seek professional medical help when your dog ingests gum, or you start noticing any of the symptoms mentioned above.
Happy dog parenting!